eat, pray, love

before heading to europe, beth asked me if i could pick up some books from her parent's house and bring them in my backpack. one of those books was a non-fiction, new york times bestseller called eat, pray, love. thinking it to be some post-modern feminist propaganda bullshit, i even didn't bother to read the back.

silly me. i stand corrected.

now i'm half-way through the damn thing and i can't put it down. chris is reading it too, and i think danny would like to borrow my copy when i'm finished. wtf? i'm not gonna tell you what it's about. not at all. other than this blog, some weird part of me says that as a male, i should not advertise that i like this book. the word sissy comes to mind. i digress. search for this book online and read what it's about and make your own opinion. here's a passage to whet your appetite...
"... but i disappear into the person i love. i am the permeable membrane. if i love you, you can have everything. you can have my time, my devotion, my ass, my money, my family, my dog, my dog's money, my dog's time-everything. if i love you, i will carry for you all your pain, i will assume for you all your debts (in every definition of the word), i will protect your from your own insecurity, i will project upon you all sorts of good qualities that you have never actually cultivated in yourself and i will buy christmas presents for your entire family. i will give you the sun and the rain, and if they are not available, i will give you a sun check and a rain check. i will give you all this and more, until i get so exhausted and depleted that the only way i can recover my energy is by becoming infatuated with someone else.
i do not relay these facts about myself with pride, but this is how it's always been." - chapter 22, eat, pray, love
i chose this passage for reasons too obvious to state. suffice it to say that i'm sure there will be many passages that will resonate highly with your own personal experiences. check it.

book: eat, pray, love, by elizabeth gilbert. it's an easy read, light and fast. and it has a good mix of humor and heart... what would you expect from a work of post-modern feminist propaganda? lol.

Comments

ExPat in London said…
Psychic. I remember reading that bit too.
beth said…
excellent. i'm glad you enjoyed it. i will request custody of it when i return to the states...
dk said…
it's okay to let out your feminist side and be proud of it. don't worry...i don't think you're gay, cuz i may end up borrowing it from you after danny's finished with it too. hell, why don't us boys start a book club. LOL!
dk said…
do you know that a movie is in development right now? julia roberts is the star.

Popular posts from this blog

i'm ready for my close up

planning to go insane

auf wiedersehen