the darjeeling limited

wes anderson is a personal hero of mine. he's doing what i aspire to do one day. he's my favorite director and his new film is the darjeeling limited. if you haven't seen any of his films then you are not allowed to know me. just kidding. but seriously, he's a genius.

here's the site... http://www.foxsearchlight.com/thedarjeelinglimited/

if you haven't seen his work, rent one of the following: rushmore, the royal tenenbaums, the life aquatic, or bottle rocket. watch the movie once, alone. meet me for coffee and we will discuss. then go home and watch it again, paying careful attention to detail. anderson carefully plans every inch of every frame, so there is certainly something you missed.

if you like his work, darjeeling has a limited release on september 29th, but probably goes wide the following week. i'll be there for the opening when it comes local, so be ready.

if you don't like his stuff, well it's just a matter of taste, and we have two different ones. don't worry though... "garfield gets real" comes out that weekend, so you'll still have something to watch.

Comments

dk said…
but the life aquatic was no good.
that is my opinion.
brian james said…
i respect others' opinions... if they can be defended with reason.

care to elaborate?
dk said…
first, i am far from being a film critic. in my opinion, life aquatic just moved too slow and it couldn't keep my attention through the entire film as i felt apathetic at times. it had the look of a wes anderson movie, but it lacked the witty, whimsical, emotive appeal like his others. his brilliance did not effectively draw me into the movie. i still admire him for taking risks, but this particular didn't pay out or meet my expectations of a wes anderson film.

i will have high expectations for his upcoming movie.
brian james said…
thanks for your honest opinion! i appreciate hearing the reasoning behind it, because it makes me re-evaluate my own thoughts.

i still hold all of anderson's films against rushmore. and it's hard to match up... i don't really want to get into it here (maybe on a later post), but i believe that after rushmore, the cast of characters became so big that it became impossible to immerse yourself in one character and really empathize. in subsequent films, there were so many subplots that a.d.d. kept me from being fully immersed and kept me focused on how well the film was directed.

Popular posts from this blog

i'm ready for my close up

planning to go insane

auf wiedersehen