the debacle known as last night (sunday night)

so...

pearl jam ended at a little past 10:00pm, and roy, cheryl, and i begin to walk west to find a place to eat some junk. after a nice hike, we get to the south loop club and eat and talk until about 11:30pm. cheryl takes a cab south to her condo. roy and i take a cab north to the sagun residence. i text tim to let him know that i'm on my way.

around 11:50pm, roy and i awake from our naps to find that we've arrived. roy, amazingly coherent in his thinking, asks if he should wait until i get inside. i tell him to hold on one second while i text tim. as i hit send, the "message sent" or what i believe to be the "message sent" box, appears on my phone and my phone dies. i contemplate asking roy to stay, but he's exhausted, so i tell him to go. figuring i still have enough battery to text one more time, i head up to the back door.
i peek into the door window and a light is on in the living room... perhaps tim is watching sportscenter. so i go to text again, and boom... no batteries. shit, run down stairs to catch roy before he leaves... gone.

and now my forehead is covered in a layer of sweat and i'm mildly worried. it's okay, i'll just knock on the window a little louder. no response. hmmm... i think there's a doorbell on the front entrance. which one is it? i try 2255 first... just two polite quick buzzes... no one. i go to the back to see if tim has gotten up, and i notice the address of the downstairs unit is 2255. oops, wrong unit. i go back to the front to buzz the other bell... this time, being more confident, two buzzes, but just a little longer. still no answer.

i'm pacing now, back upstairs, back downstairs. knocking on doors. screaming gently at windows. i check my phone to see if the batteries have had time to store a little charge. the tmobile logo appears and disappears before it finishes loading. i can't even look up phone numbers. i can't call tim, dar, roy, cheryl, dave, emer... no one in the city. i have two numbers memorized... my pa's house and danny's cell. still, i have no phone.

now, if i had my car keys... this would not be an issue. i'd just jump in and zoom home... i'd come back later to pick up my phone charger, keys, etc.

i go to the bar on the corner, the windy city inn... i ask the lady if i can use her pay phone, but they don't have one. shit. she recognizes the troubled look in my eyes and tells me i can use the house phone, as long as it's local. i lied. it's an 847, all the way in carpentersville. but it was my only hope. i called dan, left a message for him to text tim/dar and went back upstairs. i waited for a while... i'm not sure how long because i couldn't check the clock on my phone. i gave up.

the last option in my head, was to walk up irving park to find a pay phone and call my father to bring a spare key for my car. if you know my dad, then you won't be surprised to hear that he was wide awake, hosting the third mahjong night of the weekend. he wasn't playing, thank god, and was more than happy to drive down, "we're winning anyway...", he said.

now i just had to wait for 45min for him to get here, and while waiting at the bp station, i noticed that the cvs across the street was open 24/7, so i went in there to look for a battery charger for my phone. they had like 3 variations, with all kinds of adapters, and options for all models... except the razr. shit. i bought a magazine and read under the fluorescent glow of the bp, swatting away all sorts of flying and crawling insects.

i'm not sure when my dad came. i told him thanks and he was just happy that i wasn't mugged at the bp. i got in my car and looked for the car charger for my phone. i couldn't find it. i got home at 2:30am, took a long, hot shower and crashed so hard at around 3:20am.

since my phone charger is at the sagun's, my phone is dead. i haven't been able to tell anyone i am safe or what had happened. i don't have numbers, so i can't call from my house. so this is your long winded email about what happened last night. i hope i didn't worry anyone or cause any inconvenience. at some point i need to visit tim and dar again, so that i can apologize and charge my phone.

all in all, a delicious weekend.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

i'm ready for my close up

planning to go insane

auf wiedersehen